Activities and Things to do in Nelson
Our Favourite Things To Do In and Around Nelson
If you want to experience the best-ever hotspots to dine, play and hang out when you visit Nelson, it makes sense to ask a local. Or in this case, a whole bunch of locals. Get ready to dive into the top picks curated by the entire Jens Hansen crew - their favourite cafes, activities, hikes and beaches. Our insider’s guide ensures you’ll have a fun fabulous time in sunny (well, mostly sunny) Nelson. And be sure to stop in at the Jens Hansen studio to say hi - we love making new friends!
Halfdan -Owner and Creative Director
- The Mapua Ferry is an awesome way to see the shores from Nelson to Rabbit Island and then onto Mapua -bikes and dogs welcome.
- The Centre of New Zealand -a light walk for families and an amazing must get photo shot location
- The Best Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Filming Locations to Visit in New Zealand
- Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit Self-Drive Tour Itineraries in New Zealand
Natasha -at Jens Hansen for almost 10 years
- The Silky Otter Cinema in Richmond for an amazing Theatre Experience
- Zara's Turkish Kebabs in Richmond
Livia -first year at Jens Hansen
- Hardy Street Eatery in Nelson -best Hash-brown's in town
- Cable Bay -walks, adventures, beachfront you name it
Jamie -first year at Jens Hansen
- For the best cocktails -8 Plates in the CBD
- Boat Shed Restaurant on the Waterfront -a must try is 'trust the chef'
- Hopgood's Restaurant in the CBD -voted best restaurant in Nelson almost every year
Zane -at Jens Hansen 11 years now
- Pupu Springs in Golden Bay - the biggest cold-water spring south of the equator.
- Smoking Barrel in Motueka on your way to Abel Tasman -best food and donuts!
Dani -coming up on her first month here at Jens Hansen
- Toad Hall and Restaurant – Kid-friendly garden market and restaurant
- Farewell Spit
- The Junction at Grape Escape outside Richmond
- Eyebright Store outside Richmond -including the Guinea Pig Village
- Trust the Chef at Parts & Services in Nelson
- Rugby Park at the bottom of the walk to Centre of New Zealand where the first ever NZ rugby game was played
Erin -coming up on 3 years at Jens Hansen
- Nicola’s Cantina (closest you’ll get to Mexican food)
- Rimu Grove Wine Bar & Shop in Mapua, with live music Friday nights
- The Abel Tasman can't be missed -bring your camera!
Rebecca -7 years at Jens Hansen
- The Boat House in Nelson from live music on the weekends, to drinks on the deck and the best view in Nelson
Simon -working at Jens Hansen for 6 years
- Partial to the Sprig n Fern in Tahunanui
- Cable Bay Adventure Park for every activity under the Nelson sun
Ash -nearly six years at Jens Hansen
- The Freehouse Pub in Nelson -from the atmosphere to every local beer imagined on tap
- Burger Culture in the CBD -now even featuring a game room
- Kaiteriteri Beach cannot be missed
Maddy -working here over a year
- Mapua Wharf from shops to eats and wine tasting, to jumping off the pier in summer
- Arden in Nelson for the best meals and drinks
Joel -working here for a year
- Deville in Nelson from brunch or late lunch
- Whispering Falls in Aniseed Valley -in summer enjoy a dip in the lake as well as the walks around there
Claire -17 years at Jens Hansen
- Jester House -situated in Tasman has a fun art-filled garden and tame eels for the kids to feed.
Valeriya -almost a year here
- Founders Heritage Park, for food, shops and heritage buildings with awesome stories of a time gone
- Brick Eatery at Monaco for Brunches and Lunches
- Queen's Gardens in Nelson
- The Suter and The Red Galleries in Nelson
Ray -33 years working onsite
- Nahm on the Waterfront 'Asian with a flare'
- Wafu Bistro for Sushi in Nelson
- The Boulder Bank – very few in the world and can be seen from some hills throughout the region
We hope you'll enjoy visiting all these fun places in sunny Nelson. Be sure to stop by our shop and let us know which were your favourites!